The Role of the Governors
The role of the Governing Body is to:
* Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction for the school.
* Hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils.
* Oversee the financial performance of the school, making sure it’s money is well spent.
Day-to-day management of the school is the responsibility of the Headteacher though some Governors are allocated specific responsibilities by the Governing Body. Much of the work is undertaken through meetings of the different committees:
- Learning and Development
Principally concerned with the way in which the curriculum is delivered and assessing the data available to the school to monitor progress and achievement. It considers the School’s provision for children with Special Educational Needs and Gifted and Talented children. In addition it has responsibility for setting policies which cover this area. It also has responsibility for appointing teaching staff and other staffing issues.
Concerned with the financial management of the school, setting the budget and monitoring progress of spending throughout the year, monitoring specific funds allocated to, for example pupil premium. It also has responsibility for Health and Safety and maintaining the fabric of the building. It maintains the policies relating to this area.
- Pay Review
Setting and monitoring the performance management objectives for the Headteacher and approving salary adjustments for staff. It also has responsibility for, and implementation of the Performance Related Pay Policy
The Governors are all volunteers who bring their skills from a variety of backgrounds supplemented by comprehensive training which is organised by the Local Authority and through the Local Collaborative Trust. They are appointed by different bodies:
- Foundation Governors appointed by St Mary’s Church and the Diocesan Board of Education
- LEA Governor appointed by Kent County Council
- Governors elected by the parents
- Headteacher and governors elected by staff of the school